THE DESIS MAP
(Send us feedback and ideas about the map in the Facebook group:
Since its foundation, DESIS Network has recognized the value of its labs. Design for social innovation and sustainability is being built (in theory and practice) through all these experiences. It is possible to observe how active DESIS labs are in fostering social innovation at a local level.
The map below presents an analysis of DESIS Labs projects with the aim of giving them visibility by identifying main sectors and frameworks that are being developed. The first draft below is proposed as part of the international coordination plan for DESIS / 2017-2019.
The map presents the projects organized in a table. The projects are organized on themes for action and themes for reflection.
Themes for action
Themes for reflection
The DESIS Map (in a table): themes for action X themes for reflection
Each number below indicate one of the projects submitted by the Labs in the process of affiliation to DESIS Network. Numbers in parentheses indicate a secondary thematic area for the same project (in some cases, for analytical purposes, 2 projects were included for a Lab, to include areas and themes that otherwise would not be included in the analysis).
The numbers are clickable, enabling access to a synthetic description of each project (at the bottom of the page, the complete list of the projects analyzed in this report).
|Product for SI||12||37 46||23||(12)||30|
|Service for SI||32||5 24 25 28 33 35 44||22||19 (32)|
|Digital SI||16 18 (35)|
|26||27 42||34||29||10 21||7|
|Environmental concern||43||41||15 (30)|
|Co-design||(1) 38||8||1 2 3 4 6 (8) 11||(11) 17a 17b|
|40 45||36 39|
|Design theory and practices||(34)||14 (17a 17b)|
The analysis of the map indicates that DESIS Labs’ projects are concentrated in three thematic areas (highlighted in yellow in the table):
– projects classified as services for SI and including different caring actions;
– projects classified as place-making actions, developed as co-design processes;
– projects distributed in different themes for actions, but all related to income generation/entrepreneurship.
Emerging thematic areas
In synthesis the projects analyzed revealed the following thematic areas:
– Care exchanging: how to build social forms where care encounters (and mutual caring relationships) are possible, probable and lasting in time? Focus – care encounters, their interpersonal relational qualities and their enabling service systems..
– Place making: how to build social forms aiming at place-related results, linking people with their physical context? Focus – sense making and co-design processes capable to transform a space in a place.
– Income generating/entrepreneurship: how to build social forms offering participants also an economic benefit? Focus – relationships between social and economic value production.
Full list of projects
1) Coltivando. The convivial garden at Politecnico di Milano (Polimi DESIS Lab)
3) Public Collaboration Lab (University of the Arts London, UAL DESIS Lab)
4) Community, Design & Engagement (Sheffield Hallam University, SIA DESIS Lab)
5) Wisdom Teeth. Oral Health Services to support older people living in residential care (Northumbria DESIS Lab (nDESISlab)
6) Welcome to Saint Gilles (MAD faculty/LUCA arts CUO Social Spaces/DESIS lab Belgium)
7) PARTY Participatory Tools for Human Development with the Youth (University of Lapland Arctic Design Lab Finland)
8) MIL Makers culture and socio-physical urban renewal (Malmö University DESIS LAB)
9) Baking together Alvesta (Linnaeus University DESIS Lab)
10) The role of design in the commercial revitalization of urban centers – “Rua Direita” street in Aveiro, as a case study (ID+ DESIS Lab Portugal, University of Aveiro)
11) Beyond touristic tracks Everyday local development in an exceptional location (ENSCI/Les Ateliers PARIS DESIS Lab)
12) Enabling food distribution Designing tables for Restos du Coeur (ENSCI/Les Ateliers PARIS DESIS Lab)
13) Participatory Public Media Arts for Social Creativity (TU/e DESIS Lab, Eindhoven University of Technology)
14) Strategic Creativity Lab (Design Academy Eindhoven)
15) Learning from the Local An architectural framing of renewable energy infrastructure (Aarhus School of Architecture Distributed and Open Production)
16) Life 2.0 (Aalborg University AAU DESIS Lab)
18) Inclusion by mobile. Seniors, youngsters and the city (DESIS Lab Elisava Barcelona School of Design and Engineering)
19) Communicating the Wellbeing of a City with Santa Monica (Designmatters at ArtCenter College of Design)
20) Latham St. Commons Reconnecting People Through Daily Life Needs (Carnegie Mellon DESIS Lab)
21) Accelerate. Facilitating the emergence of a local, equitable, and sustainable economy (Savannah College of Art and Design SCAD DESIS Lab)
22) Public & Collaborative: Designing Services for Housing (The New School Parsons DESIS Lab)
23) cloTHING(s) as conversation. DESIS Lab at Emily Carr University
24) Super Healthy. An enabling service to empower patients (UNISINOS Desis Lab)
25) Auguri. Flores trazem alegria. Design & Sustainability Research Center (NDS) at Federal University of Paraná (UFPR)
26) Food Design. Improving Small Rural Productions (CEDTec – ED/ Universidade do Estado de Minas Gerais – UEMG)
27) Alto Vale do Itajaí. Design for local development (AMPE Alto Vale do Itajaí. NAS Design, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina – UFSC)
28) Active aging and hospitality: Designing a collaborative lodging service in older people’s homes in Rio de Janeiro (University of Brazil, Rio de Janeiro DESIS Lab)
30) Olla sobre la llama. The way to safe, healthy and efficient stoves for Villa Clarín (DISCA Desis Lab.Universidad del Norte, Colombia)
32) Izindaba Zokudla (Conversations About Food): Innovation in the Soweto Food System (University of Johannesburg, FADA Design Society Development)
35) Needle and Syringe Program Online: Bypassing stigma and protecting anonymity to preserve health. (DESIS Lab Melbourne – RMIT University, this project: Swinburne University of Technology)
36) Ajishima Project: Community Regeneration after the Great East Japan Earthquake in 2011 (Tokyo Zokei University TZU DESIS Lab)
37) Spedagi Project: Social design and distributed production that exploits local natural materials (Tokyo Zokei University TZU DESIS Lab)
38) Co-designing collaborative services to promote sustainable food production and consumption in Ulsan (Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology – UNIST DESIS Lab)
44) Beanor. Bean sprout farming as a viable solution for IDPs (Jiangnan University, Jiangnan DESIS Lab)
46) Crafting Confidence.A craft Developement for Katwalia,Netrang, Gujurat (National Institute of Design, NID Desis Lab)