Seoul National University, SNU DESIS Lab
Hosting institution: Inter-unified Design Educational Associates, Faculty of Crafts and Design, Seoul National University
Soon-jong LEE, Dean of the College of Fine Arts, Professor of the Faculty of Crafts and Design, Seoul National University / firstname.lastname@example.org /Tel: +82.2.880.8966
Juhyun Eune, Head of Inter-unified Design Educational Associates, Professor of the Faculty of Crafts and Design, Seoul National University / email@example.com / Tel: +82.2.880.7518
Jung-Min Choi, BK research professor of the Faculty of Crafts and Design, Seoul National University / firstname.lastname@example.org / Tel: +82.2.880.2556
Address: Building #49, 599 Gwanak-ro, Gwanak-gu, Seoul 151-742 Korea
Faculty of Crafts and Design, Seoul National University (SNU) has concentrated their interest on the social innovation, the core value in design to pursue the overall well-being in life and on the sustainable design.
Especially, Professor Soon-jong LEE has participated in the project with the motto “Sustainable SNU: Green Innovation of Campus in SNU”, which is designed to strengthen the sustainable responsibility commonly found in all areas of studies in SNU, and developed the green design leadership training course and such to make an effort to expand the base for the sustainable design. Also, he has sought after many ways for a design to contribute to the sustainable life, in such ways as developing “Guidance system for Eco-Design” for Samsung Electronics, co, Ltd. and hosting the exposition, “Eco Concept – insight in sight, insight in site”.
Meanwhile, Professor Juhyun Eune has also involved in many research and educational activities for promoting sustainability issues in design. For example, she recently hosted the exhibition, “Information Visualization for Sustainability” with a view to encouraging the awareness of sustainable issues through visual interaction design. She also organized “Design Creation Workshop: User Scenario Design Based on Sustainable Lifestyle”.
The above two professors has paid a strong attention on DESIS Network since 2010. Planning the establishment of DESIS Korea, they started to get in contact with many other universities and organizations which would be interested in domestic and international collaboration for social and environmental sustainability.
As of November 2011, Yonsei University, Ulsan UNIST (Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology), Green Plus U, and The Hope Institute have been jointly pushing forward the establishment of DESIS Korea
– Through active research works and training projects, we find a way to expand the interest in design for social and environmental sustainability domestically and internationally and to contribute the social and environmental well-being in a practical manner.
– We are to strengthen the link between universities, private and governmental organizations which sympathize with the spirit of DESIS for enhancing the synergy of activities.
– We are to aim for the convergence design education as a way to strengthening the holistic approach for complex sustainability issues.
Activities (past and present)
– November 23, 2011: DESIS Forum at Seoul National University in Korea
– June, 2011: “Information Visualization for Sustainability” Exhibition
– June, 2009: 6th Design Creation Workshop: User Scenario Design Based on Sustainable Lifestyle
– October, 2008: “Eco Concept – insight in sight, insight in site” Exhibition
Primary research areas
– Exploration of future design concepts based on contextual and ecological approaches
– Sustainability in/by information design
– Methodology development and case studies for integrated design education and research
Future research and activities of SNU DESIS Lab will be organized in the following three categories:
– Design for environmental sustainability
– Design for sustainable society
– Design for convergent creativity
– UNIST DESIS Lab, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology, Korea
– Eco & Culture Design Institute, Division of Design and Art, Yonsei University, Korea
– Aalto University, Finland
– Aalborg University, Denmark
– Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), Australia
– Green Plus U (Non-profit organization)
List of projects and research
– GEDS Project: Guidance system for Eco-Design Samsung
– Sustainable SNU Project: Green Innovation of Campus in SNU
– Eco Concept Project: Insight in sight, Insight in site
– Information Visualization for Sustainability Project (Informaion Interaction Design)
– Design Creation Workshop: User Scenario Design Based on Sustainable Lifestyle