The Academy of Arts & Design, Tsinghua University DESIS Lab
Coordinator: Prof. Liu Xin, firstname.lastname@example.org
Operational manager: Dr. Zhong Fang, email@example.com
Mail address, telephone number: +86-10-62796863
Hosting institution: the Academy of Arts & Design, Tsinghua University, B464, the Academy of Arts & Design, Tsinghua University, Haidian district, Beijing, China. +86-10-62796863, http://www.tsinghua.edu.cn/publish/ad
Background and objectives:
Academy of Arts & Design, Tsinghua University, formerly known as the Central Academy of Arts & Design, is one of the most influential design institutes in China. Tsinghua DESIS Lab is dedicated to research and practice on the design for social innovation and sustainability, and makes full advantage of design thinking and methods, to explore the comprehensive solutions for social issues in China. Moreover, Tsinghua DESIS Lab will dependent on collective intelligence and sustainable business model, integrate design experts, social activists, ordinary people and other social resources to apply the achievements of academic research and teaching in solutions to actual problems, exploring and spreading the sustainable living concept and life style, and ultimately contribute to the transformation of China to a sustainable society.
Primary research areas and activities：
Primary research and activities:
- Promotion to and support for the organic agriculture in rural areas and propagation of the knowledge, skills and methods for urban organic farming, as well as developing relevant service systems and products; all the efforts contribute to the construction of the new urban-rural relationship in the particular context of China;
- To promote the sustainable and intelligent lifestyle, we focus on the research and design for public service, search for further more opportunities through design methodology, integrate advantages of interactive technology, networking and cloud computing, to solve problems in people’s everyday life, especially in family life, working, travelling and health issues by means of digital technology.
- To develop effectively systematic organizations, we combine makers’ practices with service learning, encourage everyone to participate in our activities, in order to integrate organically the research, learning, reviewing and practice experiences.
List of projects and research:
- CITYCARE: Innovative Application Design for Promoting Public Service. 2011
Combined with crowd-sourcing model, CityCare application presents the participatory sensing to help public share the information of city service on the mobile networking.
- NEW COMMUNITY CENTER, fund by the Academy of Arts & Design, Tsinghua University. 2012
This is an online platform and offline place which provides linkage to the community residents with the CSA farm and other stakeholders, aiming to strengthen the confidence and communication between health food producers and consumers, to achieve regional overall distribution with reduction of logistics costs, and to spread sustainable lifestyles and ideas.
- FOOD LOOP， fund by X6 (Jun Shige Architectural Design Engineering Co., Ltd.) 2013
With consideration of the impact of air pollution, soil contamination and increasingly severe climate problems on food chain, the exhibition for food safety provides an alternative for urban consumers, a green and sustainable eating pattern. The idea is to integrate food production, process, consumption and recycling into a loop system within a single urban space.
- Design for urban Agriculture. No fund. As an exhibitor in “Urban Edge” section, Shenzhen-Hong Kong Biennale of Architecture, 2013
We paid close attention to the concepts propagation and products design for green planting at home, including indoor plant lighting fittings, the system of intelligent urban planting, and the pots made of recycled non-woven bags, and so on.
- Sustainable Living Lab(SLL), No fund, 2014
Sustainable Living Lab was co-founded by Sustainable Design Institute in Tsinghua University and Sharing Community Development Center. The SLL advocates a green, healthy, low-carbon life philosophy, and focuses to apply this philosophy to real life scenarios, so as to drive more people concerning about, understanding and participating into practice of sustainable living style.
- Beijing Green Map. Fund by IDEO. 2013
Through three core sections, Eating Green, Buying Green, Playing Green, this online map project connects the CSA farms, organic farmers markets, organic restaurants, eco farm homes, second-hand groceries, points of rental bicycles and many green architectural landscapes. The idea is to promote communication and interaction between urban and rural while advocating green trip. http://www.Greenlivingbeijing.com (in constructing…)
- Micro travel, 2013
By using the app on the network and mobile port, users can browse the “route book” of each hostel and choose one that fits most their needs. During the trip, they can use app to record their trips and build up their own route based on this hostel. When the route-building is done, the travel path of the lodger will be printed into a postcard by the youth hostel, which could be sent as a souvenir to the lodger or placed in the hostel as a reference for the other lodger (the tradition setting of the youth hostel).
- Crowdsourcing Application and Service Design for Nature Observation: Case Study and Design for Birding in Tsinghua University. 2014
The whole design research was to present a public participatory solution, taking birding on campus as an example, to encourage people to observe and share the findings on nature beauty in daily life, as well as foster the awareness of environment protection during the outdoor activities.
- Green Freight, Clear Air Asia, 2014
The mission of this project is to reduce the air pollution in China by advocating the nationwide implementation of green freight policies to government officials. We hope to cause great concern from the government and the public through an information motion graph video.
- GreenCloud, Clear Air Asia, 2014
Load management was the number one problem of Chinese truck drivers. The value of the app is to get real-time, location-based information about loads. App will offer a feature to locate friends nearby and to communicate with them.
- Walkable city, Clear Air Asia, 2014
We seek to explore and address the issue of walkability in China by examining the issue through the lens of the Beijing experience. Several studies have reached conclusions that suggest that pedestrian-friendly urban development is both an indicator of environmental quality and a key determinant of sustainability.
- Walk!man, Clear Air Asia, 2014
Walk!Man aims to improve the walkability of the city by engaging pedestrians on an interactive online platform that allows them to offer recommendations that will improve walking conditions for pedestrians. Provide pedestrians with a better understanding of where they can walk.
- Breathe of life, 2014
We develop a pollution monitoring app for the WeChat platform. While many air quality apps already exist, our app aims to go further by providing users with more information about the health effects and sources of different pollutants. Users will also be able to supplement official pollution data with their own opinions and photos of their local environment. http://jshuanping.org/ngo
- Liu xin
- Fu zhiyong
- Zhong fang
- Xia Nan
- Wang Xinxin